Let's Hoot Initial Consultation
A Let's Hoot Initial Consultation is your first step in establishing services with our office.
Eligibility: Services are free and available to KSU students who are currently enrolled and taking classes.
To schedule an Initial Consultation, students can:
- Call 470-578-6600 - it's the fastest and easiest way to get scheduled!
- Visit our office Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm:
- Kennesaw Campus: Kennesaw Hall, Room 2401
- Marietta Campus: Student Center, Room 170
- Not in a rush? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org using your student email account.
- Please note that email request for appointments will be answered in 24-48 business hours.
Please know that staff and students will need to wear masks for in-person appointments.
The day of your appointment:
If you schedule a virtual Initial Consultation - You will receive a Microsoft Teams meeting invitation on the morning of your appointment. Included in the invitation will be a link to our online client forms that you must complete prior to your appointment. Once you accept the invitation, you can find it again by logging into MS Teams and viewing your calendar.
If you schedule an in-person Initial Consultation - An email will be sent in the morning with a link to our online forms. Forms MUST be completed prior to your appointment time. You are also welcome to arrive early and complete the forms in our office. Thay can take 15-20 minutes to complete so please plan accordinging. Fully vaccinated individuals may come to the office without a face covering; however, those who are not yet vaccinated should wear a face covering. Students will be asked to wear a face mask once in the counselor's office. If you are experiencing any symptoms of illness please contact the office to reschedule (470-578-6600).
Tell us about YOU - You will meet with a counselor for appoximately 30 minutes and discuss what will be most helpful for you.
Make a Plan - We always try to recommend a plan that is based on each student's unique needs. We frequently recommend skill-building workshops, group counseling, individual counseling, and off-campus services that may be a better fit.
How shoud I prepare for a telemental health video session with my counselor? We're glad you asked!
- Make sure you have downloaded Microsoft Teams on a device that has a video camera and microphone. You will log in to Microsoft Teams using your student net id and password.
- Find a private space where you can speak freely and openly without being overheard or interrupted by others. You may need to ask others in your space to respect your privacy by doing things like turning on entertainment in another room or listening to something on headphones.
- You should treat the virtual meeting like you would an in-person meeting. For example, you should be seated comfortably in a chair and dressed and groomed like you were on-campus.
If you are having a mental health crisis:
Students may walk-in or call 470-578-6600 for urgent appointments Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:00am-5:00pm if they are at an elevated mental health risk, including
- Current or recent thoughts of harm to self or others
- Concerned about the safety of another person
- Experience of a recent trauma
- Experiencing hallucinations, delusions, disorganized thinking and/or behavior, or have been unable to sleep for two or more days.
Wellbeing@Kennesaw - 24/7 Mental Health Support:
Everything you need to Find Your Support. The University System of Georgia has partnered with Christie Campus Health to expand the mental health options available to students. Wellbeing@Kennesaw is here to support you with flexible options and tools to help lift you mentally and emotionally.
Speak with an experienced clinician, get a referral for one-to-one counseling and access to free counseling sessions, and even schedule an appointment with a local or video counselor.
Wellbeing@KSU - 24/7 Mental Health Support
Get 24/7 support at Wellbeing@KSU by calling 833-874-0013. You’ll speak with a trained counselor who will listen, offer guidance, and help you set a plan. Services are free to KSU students and are available 24/7.
Please note that per Georgia Law, students under the age of 18 will need parent/guardian consent in order to receive counseling services.
The provision of counseling services is regulated by each state; thus, if you do not reside in Georgia we will discuss what your state permits us to provide for you.